As I was trawling Pinterest recently looking for new Halloween ideas, I came across a spider crown tutorial and immediately pinned it to my Halloween board. How stunning! So simple, but very effective!
I had no intentions of going to the shops to buy spiders, but I knew I had a small number in my Halloween stash. Our decorations will go up on the weekend – here in Australia, if we are decorating, we mostly tend to only put them up for a couple of days although there are some houses which are decorated for longer. So I pulled out the box and went searching for spiders……and found these 5
There’s not enough for a whole crown, but I’m sure they will make a great tiara!
Following Delia’s instructions, I cut some wire long enough to encircle my head. Wanting to make sure it was strong enough, I covered the wire ring first with masking tape, then with black duct tape. As it turns out, it would have been fine just with the duct tape 🙂 Don’t forget to make your circlet a little bit bigger than your head measurement, as adding the tape will make it a little smaller in diameter. Delia actually uses black plastic-coated wire, and just tapes the ends together. This makes for a very neat and compact circlet.
I decided to glue my spiders together before attaching them to the circlet. My spiders are smaller than Delia’s, and have quite spindly legs. I wasn’t sure they would even stick together! But stick they did, and I was very happy about that! Hot glue is the best 🙂
Then I centred and glued them
I was also a bit worried they wouldn’t stand up well, but they behaved very well!
And, because you can never pass up an opportunity to add some glitter, I turned them into Red Back Spiders…
Well, we are in Australia after all!
As a last minute project, using things I already had, I’m very pleased how it turned out. I will look out for some larger spiders (maybe some bats too) and remake it for next year, although I will keep it as a tiara rather than a full crown. And I think a more delicate wire circle, like Delia’s, will look neater too.
**UPDATE – Monday 30th October – turns out I do have some black coated wire! So I removed the spiders from the old base, and added them to my new, improved wire circle. Will tidy up the hot glue lumps a bit, but here it is:
Linking up with:
21 Rosemary Lane – Share Your Style, Have a Daily Cup of Mrs Olson – Share Your Cup, Organized 31 – This is How We Roll, Sincerely, Paula – No Rules Weekend Blog Party, Twin Dragonfly Designs – The Handmade Hangout, Life With Lorelei – Home Matters, Shoestring Elegance – What to do Weekends, Raising Fairies and Knights – Bloggers Spotlight, Coffee With Us 3 – Pretty Pintastic Party, Oh My Heartsie Girl – Friday Features, Strawberry Butterscotch – Saturday Shuffle, Hello Little Home – Best of the Weekend, 21 Rosemary Lane – Share Your Style,Have a Daily Cup of Mrs Olson – Share Your Cup, Organized 31 – This is How We Roll, The DIY Dreamer – From Dream to Reality, Oh My Heartsie Girl – Wonderful Wednesday, Savvy Southern Style – Wow us Wednesday, Claire Justine – Wednesday Blog Hop, Lou Lou Girls, Our Home Away From Home – Tuesdays at Our Home, The Mrs Tee – Mommy Monday, The Dedicated House – Make it Pretty Monday, Cedar Hill Farmhouse – The Scoop,